Friday, February 22, 2013

Outlines



I sit here, the power of words at my fingertips, yet I don’t know what to say. I have the ability to create worlds, strategize battles, pen a romance, touch the hearts of the people – and yet, I don’t know that I want to.

Image of bic pens in a metal pencil holder upon a glass desk.

I don’t know that I want to.

How selfish is that?

I have power to make people laugh, or cry, to teach a moral, to give praise to God, but to do it I have to give up me. To write myself into the story, to let them experience what goes on in my head - is nerve-wracking to say the least. But if I don’t, is my story worth reading, will it really be all that it could be?

No.

I sigh and stare at the outlines, the maps, and character sketches. I read up on psychology, write a few poems, attempt to create a government.  Organize my papers, put them away, take them out, read them, add a few notes, add a few more notes, cross out a line, then another and another. A lovely voice says I should scribble all over the page, ball it up and throw it away.

I drop my pen and push away from the desk for a few minutes.I find my iPod and let soft instrumentals wash over me. The littles run past towing the youngest with them in a laundry basket-boat. I smile and store the memory away, noting the glint of excitement in their eyes as they venture to new worlds.

After setting a pot of water to boil on the stove, I take a moment to reflect on why I am writing. Why is it so important?

I find vague thoughts and emotions that jump tauntingly out of reach before I can catch them. 

Steam hisses up from the spout and I pour hot water over a tea bag. I sprinkle in a little sugar…okay, well, maybe a tad more than a little, and stir in a bit of milk. Wrapping icey fingers around the mug, I press my face close to the heat and blow puffs of warmth into my face.

He whispers gently to me, “Write this for me, Kate.”

I curl up with blanket and fingerless gloves that help my hands brave the cold. Armed with my favorite pen, a red marker, and tea, I pour over my notes once more and prepare the story He has asked me to create. I begin on the outlines again. A scene pops up, surprising me, giving me new insight on a character. The excitement returns and as I work through the mess of papers I decide that yes, this is worth it. I want people to cry with me, laugh with me, and beg my characters to see the consequences of their choices with me. I want them to experience what I have experienced… and maybe, just maybe, they’ll learn something too. And that makes it worth every everything I’ll have to endure.





4 comments:

  1. Kate!That is phenomenal! My emotions followed right along with your writing and touched me greatly. Keep serving the Lord with your abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate!

    Great writing, I love the style of writing you carry...sending us into vivid descriptions that let us experience this with you. In this post you did what you were describing. Love it!

    Rachel D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    This is my favorite post of yours, including all the new ones after this. The way that you pull in all five sense is what makes it especially great.

    And writing for the Artist... yes, me too. :) May he whisper his truth in both of our ears, and may our writing be worship to him. Yes.

    Warmly,
    Jennifer
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I can say anything to sum up how wonderful this is!
    Thank you for reminding me why I should keep writing.

    ReplyDelete