Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Details - Using Your Window to Its Fullest Potential

Credit
      What do you see when you look out the window. Neighbors' houses, the road, dead winter grass, the trees, perhaps a bird?

      If that is all you see, then you must look again or you will miss all the beautiful things that are making my heart skip.

      When I gaze out the window I find tangled blades of grass that huddle together against the cold. Trees that lift tired limbs into the sky, searching for the sun. Curious, young flowers that peep up from under the snow to see if spring has arrived. Sunbeams that dance on the ground, daring winter to stop them from warming the earth. Rain drops that spatter from grouchy clouds to cleanse the frostbitten ground. Birds that sing about bright days and hope on the wind.

      And,  I wonder at all the tiny moments I have missed, all the miniature stories that I could have witnessed if I looked, really looked out the window.

      I hold the ones I do see near to my heart and haltingly try explain why I stare out the window so absently. It never comes out right and I mumble an apology before trying to focus on doing "something useful". I want to say that what I am doing is useful, that it makes me happy, makes me feel closer to God but the words get stuck in my throat, so I write them down instead.

      Slowing my feet, I pause to search for all the smiles that God has hidden for me today. I hope that you will join me in seeking out the details, and when you walk past a window you won't pass by without trying find the moments that He orchestrated with you in mind, because God made you to be a creature that wonders. Wherever you find that sense of awe,  in music, art, words, logic, science, numbers, in your home - wherever - pause, and store it away for those days when you need a little encouragement.




2 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I love this: " I hold the ones I do see near to my heart and haltingly try explain why I stare out the window so absently. It never comes out right and I mumble an apology before trying to focus on doing "something useful". I want to say that what I am doing is useful, that it makes me happy, makes me feel closer to God but the words get stuck in my throat, so I write them down instead." -- Nice. :)

    Me too, girl, I often find myself staring out the window,then scrambling for a pen to write down what I see and hear.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www,jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete